Saturday, January 4, 2014

Southwestern Style Cornbread

This must be the season for experimenting in the kitchen!  The other day I was going to a lunch gathering.  Soup was going to be served and we were to bring something to go with it.  I didn't want to take the normal sandwich, but I didn't want normal cornbread either.  I have been wanting to try to make my own jalapeno cornbread, but I didn't want the traditional jalapeno cornbread either.  Picky, picky!  :)

After doing several recipe searches, I was just unhappy with what I was finding, SO... my own southwestern style cornbread experiment began on a Thursday morning at 6:30!  I was extremely pleased with the results and a couple have asked for the recipe, so I knew I had to share it with you!

To start, I started preheating my oven to 425 degrees and greased my cast iron skillet with Crisco using a paper towel.  You can also spray a cornbread stick pan if you wish.  Yes, I said spray.  For some reason, when I grease mine like my skillet, the bread sticks in the grooves.



Then I prepared my cornbread.  I mixed 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 1/8 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in my trusty mixing bowl.

Please excuse the extra dish holding the sugar scrub.  I had to leave it there
so I wouldn't forget to take it with me.  :)
Next, I added in 1/4 cup melted butter and


1 1/4 cup milk.


I stirred this together a bit before adding 1 egg.


Again, I stirred just a bit before adding one cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, one minced jalapeno with only half the seeds, and


One cup of creamed corn with most of the milk poured off.  I have corn that I creamed myself over the summer in my freezer, but I am sure canned cream corn would work too.  Just remember to pour off the milk.


This was mixed well before spooning and pouring into the skillets.


This was placed into the preheated oven and baked 22-25 minutes until the top was golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean.

I apologize for the bad photo.  Can you believe I forgot to take one with
my camera?  This is one I made with my phone.
Again, this recipe was a hit with my children even though they didn't like the occasional hot spot.  :)  I had to compete for the last slice!

If you try it, let me know what you think!

Southwestern Style Cornbread
1 c all purpose flour
1 c cornmeal
1/8 c sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 c milk
1/4 c melted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 c cream corn
1 jalapeno with half of the seeds removed, minced

In a mixing bowl combine and stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add the milk, melted butter, and egg.  Stir together lightly.  Add the cheese, corn, and jalapeno, and mix together well.  Pour mixture into a greased skillet.  Place into a oven preheated to 425 degrees.  Cook until golden on top.

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment