Friday, January 3, 2014

Apple and Sweet Potato Bake

Last year I wrote about our traditional New Year's Day meal.  This year I just wanted something a little different to go with it.  I thought about my sweet potato souffle, but my time was short and we had just had it over Christmas.  Instead, I looked at the the sweet potatoes I had left.  I remembered a recipe from my old Amish cookbook I had tried with apples and sweet potatoes mixed.  It was good, but I didn't like the mace in it.  The wheels in my head began to spin.  Hence, Apple and Sweet Potato Bake was born!  :)


To make it, I peeled two medium apples and chopped them into bite size chunks.  I squeezed the juice from half a red navel orange over them.  Any orange will work.


Then I peeled and sliced three small sweet potatoes and added them to the apples.  On the mixture, I dotted 1-2 tablespoons of soft butter.


Next, I made the topping/glaze.  I started by melting 4 tablespoons of butter.  To that, I added 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour (I have made this topping without the flour for my sister who is gluten intolerant, and it is still very good.), 1 cup of chopped pecans, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.


All the ingredients were mixed well and sprinkled over the apples and sweet potatoes.


This was placed in a 350 degree oven for thirty minutes.  At that point, I removed the dish and stirred everything together.  I put it back in the oven to cook until done (20-30 minutes more).


I was worried my children wouldn't like it, but upon tasting it, my daughter declared she was saving hers for dessert!  :)  Love that little girl!

Did you try a new recipe over the holidays?  Feel free to share!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment