Saturday, December 14, 2019

Citrus Peel Candy



Good day, reader friends!

We have been doing our annual Chrsitmas Around the World activities the last couple weeks when we have been able, as we lost a dear family member last week.

One activity I wanted to try this year was to make Stollen, a traditional German Christmas bread. The recipe I wanted to try called for candied citrus peel. I've read that there is no comparison between the store-bought version and the homemade version, so I decided it would be fun to make our own. It turns out, I was correct! I thought I would share the process with you in case you would like to try it also.

I began with organic produce, and I would not make this candy without using organic fruit since citrus is a sprayed crop. The following picture shows the fruit I used. You can use any combination you would like, but make sure to stay close to the same quantity.


Next, cut the ends of each fruit, and cut the rind away from the fruit.



Cut peel into quarter inch slices, place them in a pot, add cold water, and bring them to a boil. Boil the peels for 15 minutes.


Drain the peels and rinse them with cold water.


Repeating this process one or two more times will reduce the bitterness of the citrus rind.

Next, add two cups of sugar and one cup of water to the rinsed pot. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil to dissolve the sugar. I didnt wait for my sugar to completely dissolve.


Add the peels to the pot. Reduce the heat to maintain a slow boil, and stir often so that the peels do not stick or burn.


Continue to boil until the rinds start turning translucent and the syrup is thick.


Remove the pot from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove a few rinds at a time from the pot, letting them drain for just a few seconds. Place the rinds in finely ground sugar.  (Click here to learn how to make your own) Toss them around a bit to make sure they are coated well.



Move the coated peels to a drying rack. 


Let them dry on the racks for one or two days. The peels are now ready to use or store in the freezer.

I hope you get a chance to try them!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment