Monday, June 17, 2019

Sour Cream Cornbread


This afternoon and evening were full of experiments in the kitchen. The first experiment was intentional. I wanted to use up some peaches in my pantry and blueberries in my freezer. I decided to play with my mama's banana pudding recipe and make a pudding with the berries and peaches. I will be sharing that recipe soon. Today, though, I want to share the cornbread recipe that I made.

After completing the pudding, I got busy making my chicken, broccoli, and rice soup that Mr. Husband requested for supper. Just as the soup was in its final few minutes of cooking, Mr. Husband walked in the door. He heartily inhaled the aroma wafting from the pot and asked if I was making cornbread. 😳 "Umm...yes, dear. I am." Uhhh...making cornbread was the furthest thing from my mind. He had no clue I had been in the kitchen making a surprise dessert before making supper while he was outside in the horrible heat and humidity waging war with ants. I scrambled around the kitchen gathering ingredients only to realize I didn't have milk. Heavens to Betsy! Not making cornbread was not an option! Mr. Husband won't eat soup without cornbread. We have been married right at twenty years. When will I ever remember this!? But who makes cornbread without MILK?!?! My mind raced. God surely knew my heart and caused me to remember our favorite Sour Cream Muffin recipe that uses no milk. It only has flour, butter, and sour cream. Without taking time to second guess, I decided I was just going to have to jump in head first and try my best to make the cornbread work using the same method.

I commenced to tossing and stirring ingredients into my bowl until the batter looked right. I held my breath and patted it into my greased cast iron skillet. I was sweating it nearly the whole time the cornbread was in the oven.


When the cornbread finally decided to turn golden along the top, I pulled it from the oven and checked to make sure it was done in the middle. I breathed slightly better when I realized I had passed the first hurdle. It was done and soft! When it turned out onto a plate beautifully, breathing was even better. It looked very different than my normal cornbread, but it was beautiful.


I clenched my jaw when Mr. Husband walked by and looked at it. He asked what was wrong with my cornbread. 😆 I had to fess up and tell him what I did. He wasn't sure, but he watched as I cut a test slice. Oh goodness, y'all! IT WAS SOOO GOOD! Mr. Husband loves the sour cream muffins, so he had to have a bite to see if my reaction was exaggerated. He was not disappointed! In fact, he said I might have to make this new one from now on! 😳😳 I ran to my notepad and wrote down everything I did so I can make it again.

I hope you get a chance to try it. It is so soft and tender! The flavor is amazing!

Sour Cream Cornbread
2 c self-rising cornmeal mix
8 oz sour cream
1-1/2 sticks butter, melted
1/4 c butter flavored Crisco
1 egg

Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet. To a mixing bowl, add the cornmeal mix. Add the Crisco. Cut the Crisco into the cornmeal until it resembles small peas throughout the cornmeal. Add all other ingredients. Mix well, but mix lightly, being careful not to over mix. Pour the mixture into the greased skillet. Place the skillet into the oven. Turn the heat down to 350°. Bake the cornbread 25 minutes or until the top turns a light, golden color. Remove the pan from the oven, immediately turn the bread onto a heat-safe plate.


Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment