Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Canning Potatoes


In my last post, I explained how I came to be the owner of a fifty pound bag of potatoes. Well, for about a week -at least- my husband has been stressed about me doing something with the rest of the potatoes before they go bad. Today, between Tae Kwon Do, piano, shopping for a trip, dusting the house, and washing clothes, I decided it would be a great time to get some of the potatoes canned. Surely, they will be done before the family demands supper, right???

Naturally, while I wait on the canner to come up to pressure, it's the perfect time to tell you how you can can some potatoes for yourself, too! 😊

First, you want to peel your potatoes, remove any bad spots, and dice them into chunks. I used ten pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes. Make sure to keep peeled potatoes in clean, cold water to prevent browning.


Then, place a large stock pot of water (or chicken broth) on the stove to heat to boiling, and get your canner ready for canning.

When your water in the stock pot is just about to boil, fill wide mouth quart jars with potatoes, leaving one inch headspace. My six pounds of potatoes was divided into seven quart jars with a remainder of three chunks. 😁 I also added one teaspoon of canning salt to each jar.



When the water in the stockpot is boiling, fill one jar at a time with the boiling water, leaving one inch headspace, remove air bubbles, wipe the jar rim clean with a wet paper towel and seal with a lid and ring.


Place each jar in the hot canner as each jar is finished. Can the potatoes for forty minutes at 11 lbs pressure for a guage canner or 10 lbs for a weighted canner. Make sure to make proper adjustments for your altitude.

There you have it, my reader friends! Potatoes are very quick and easy to process. At this point in the post, my potatoes are already half way done! I hope you get the chance to can your own!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!
*To ensure the safety of your food, be sure to follow safe canning guidelines issued by the USDA. Don't take my word for it! 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment