Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Canning Potato Wedges


Good day, reader friends! It's been another busy day here in the meadow of simple blessings.

As the sky began to grow with light this morning, the song of the whippoorwills gave way to the calls of bobwhites and song birds. My four-legged child made sure we made our morning trip out the door. I figured I might as well water my flowers by the house since I was already there. After I had taken care of my first baby and flowers I ventured up to the garden to get my watering chores done there before the sun had a chance to rise above the trees. It is always so peaceful in the garden so early in the morning. Even in the middle of the summer, mornings there are still usually cool enough to be incredibly pleasant. I love spending quiet moments there talking with my Lord and enjoying His creation. These are a couple pictures from my time there this morning.





That wasn't why I started this post, though. I came here to tell you my husband can completely relax about all my potatoes he was worried were going to go bad. When I came in from the garden and had finished devotions, breakfast, and coffee, I got busy taking care of the last fifteen pounds of potatoes. I got them peeled and cut into wedges. I canned them just the same as I did the potatoes in the post from yesterday except I added a quarter teaspoon of pickle crisp to each jar. I have read that it helps potatoes keep more of their firmness for making french fries or potato wedges with the canned potatoes. I guess time will tell for that one.

This is a picture of what pickle crisp looks like in the store.


And added to the jars 😁


These are the little white balls that are supposed to hold the crispness of vegetables hostage until the cook is ready to used said vegetables.

My nine pounds of potatoes today yielded 11 quarts of wedges (ahem...make that 10. I lost one in the canner. 😣) with a handful of wedges leftover which I threw into the pan of chicken that's in the oven for supper tonight. The canner and chicken will soon be done, so I guess I better get started on those beans!

I hope you have had a beautiful day today, my reader friends!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment