Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Canning Dry Beans


Welcome back, reader friends!

It has been a busy few days here in the meadow of simple blessings! I have really been catching up on the canning I haven't been able to get to for so long. Yesterday, was my day to tackle my dry beans basket.

I have to admit I don't always do things right by the book when it comes to canning. If you are one that doesn't believe in deviating from the rules, this post might not be for you, and that is okay. I can handle that.

Normally, I like to soak my dry beans overnight, but I had to do what I had to do while I had a day to do it! Needless to say, my beans didn't get soaked this time. I washed and rinsed those beans, got a good bit of them canned, and the world didn't end when I couldn't get the job done the most ideal way.

I thought I would take you along the process so you can have confidence doing your beans, too!

First, get all your supplies ready after giving your counters and stove a good wipe-down. You will need to get your canner ready with the proper amount of water in it ready to go on the stove. (Please make sure it is a pressure canner! I'm not that much of a rebel!) Also, set a large pan of water on the stove to start heating. You will want the water at a boil to fill your jars. Have an adequate number of lids, rings, and jars in your work area. The number you need totally depends on the amount of beans you wish to process. I like to get out at least as many as my canner will hold. Lay out a towel to sit jars on as you fill them. Have your ladle and jar lifter in your work area also. Below is my work space with my jars of beans added.


Next, gather the beans you wish to can. Sort them to remove any small rocks or unpleasant beans. Rinse the sorted beans several times until the wash water isn't dirty. Below are my red kidney beans, but I also did black eye peas.


Measure a half cup of the rinsed beans into clean jars. This is the part that bothers me about canning dry beans. It seems like so much wasted space. You have to remember, though, that these beans have not been soaked and will absorb liquid and expand during the canning process. I have tried to use more beans, but they always end up being too thick and too full when I do. I've just learned I have to accept extra empty space in my jars if I don't take the time to soak the beans first. On another note, I like to use the funnel when putting beans in to make the job easier and neater. It helps keep extra gunk off my jar rims.


Next, I like to add a little broth base and seasoning with a little extra salt and onion powder. In each pint I used two teaspoons beef broth base, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder.




To the jars, add boiling water, leaving 3/4 inch headspace.


Wipe the rim of each jar with a damp paper towel and place a lid on each jar. Secure each lid with a ring tightened to just finger tight. Place the jars in your canner and process at ten pounds pressure. Make sure to make adjustments for altitude if needed.

There you have it, my friends! It takes a little time and a little effort, but it is worth it to have a jar of beans to easily heat up for a meal!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment