Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Swamp Cabbage



For a while my husband worked in Texas. He and a few other guys rented a place together and would take turns cooking supper. One of the guys was originally from Louisiana. On that guy's first night to cook, I got a text from my husband saying his friend was going to send me the recipe. My husband said I HAD to save it, and cook it for him.

Indeed, his friend sent the recipe, and it was quite easy: Fry your favorite ground sausage and drain. Pour in one can of Rotel and one head of chopped cabbage. Cook until cabbage is done.

I made it that was several times, but it just was lacking "something."  Last night, I made it, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to add my touch. Oh my! It finally had the "something" it needed. Today, I give to you

Swamp Cabbage 
2 lbs. Regular Jimmy Dean Sausage
2 cans mild Tomatoes with chilis 
2 heads of cabbage, chopped
1 c frozen seasoning blend 
1-1/2 t garlic powder 
1-3 t salt, to your taste
4 T butter 

In a large stockpot, brown the sausage and drain, if needed. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook until the cabbage is soft, stirring occasionally to prevent any sticking or burning. Enjoy as is (especially if you are doing Thm!) or with your favorite southwestern style cornbread!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!💕

No comments:

Post a Comment