Monday, August 15, 2016

Spicy Pickled Cauliflower


Hi, y'all! The other day was another new recipe day!

A while back we had a pipe burst causing us to have to have our floors replaced. One super nice young fellow who had grown up on a farm came to measure and was in awe of all the jars in the pantry. He told me how his family in Pennsylvania ships down a case of spicy pickled cauliflower every Christmas. He made it sound so yummy, I began a search for a recipe that day! There are very few spicy pickled cauliflower recipes out there! I never did find one certain recipe I really liked so I just made one my own.

This is the link to the original recipe. Doesn't that look pretty? This recipe was so very close to what I was looking for, I made very few changes. I couldn't not give credit to the original. 😊

Spicy Pickled Cauliflower 
4 t coriander seeds
4 t yellow mustard seeds 
2 t cumin seeds
4 t black peppercorns 
2 t ground turmeric 
1 t red pepper flakes
1/2 c sugar 
8 c apple cider vinegar 
4 c water
20 cloves garlic 
2 small onions thinly sliced
2 small-medium heads cauliflower chopped into florets
2 red bell peppers seeded and diced into large pieces 

In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the garlic cloves and vegetables. (Note: the onions can be added to the brine. I had never done it that way, so I tried it for this recipe. In the future, I will not put them in the brine.) Heat the brine to boiling. Add all the chopped vegetables to a large bowl and toss together. When brine is hot, pack the vegetable mixture into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Pour hot brine over the vegetables in the jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe the jar rims clean with a damp cloth or paper towel. Seal the jars. Place the jars in the canner making sure the jars are covered with at least one inch of water. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Process pints and half pints for 10 minutes once the water comes to a boil. 

This is what I did. After preparing my canner and heating my jars, I prepared my brine. I love making brings. They are so quick and easy. Here it is ready to go.


Next, I chopped up the vegetables and tossed them together in a big bowl.


Then I got my jars out and divided the garlic cloves between them.


The vegetables were then packed snugly into the jars.


The hot brine was then poured over the vegetables leaving a half inch headspace.


Lastly, the jars were sealed and processed.


When I was done filling the jars, there were a lot of onions left in the brine. I didn't want to waste them, so using a slotted spoon, I spooned the onions into a pint jar. The jar was filled with the hot brine leaving a half inch headspace. I processed the jar for ten minutes just like the cauliflower and peppers.




Aren't they little jewels? I love taking a peek at them when I walk through my pantry. The best part of this recipe is that the only thing that is hard about this recipe is waiting a couple weeks to try it!

I hope you enjoy it!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

*To ensure the safety of your food, be sure to follow all the safe canning guidelines issued by the USDA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment