Friday, August 5, 2016

Italian Herb Jelly


This has been a really fun summer for exploring and trying new canning recipes. I have many new recipes to add to my forever repertoire. I had to take a break from all the canning, though, to share a few of the recipes with you so I could get the pictures off my phone and free up some space! 😁

This recipe is one of those recipes. I must admit, though, I really didn't think I was going to like it. In fact, I didn't even take pictures for a picture tutorial. I apologize! 😊 I know I'll make it again, so maybe then I can come back and add pictures. As far as liking it, it has turned out to be one of my favorites. I like to eat it on garlic toast with spaghetti or lasagna. Without further adieu, I give to you my version of herb jelly.



Italian Herb Jelly 
.5 oz chives
.5 oz thyme sprigs 
3/4 t dried oregano 
1 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 c loosely packed fresh parsley
1-1/2 c unsweetened apple juice
1 c water
1 c white wine vinegar 
1 package regular powdered pectin 
5-1/4 c granulated sugar 
*I know those are odd measurements for the chives and thyme, but that was the measurement for the spices that come in the little plastic containers in my produce section. 😊 

In a saucepan, make the herb tea by combining the herbs, apple juice, water and vinegar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, and let it steep for 15 minutes.  Stir and press the herbs to release flavor. 

Strain the mixture over a bowl using a jelly bag or cheese cloth. Let it drip for at least 30 minutes.

I used that time to prepare my jars, canner, and lids. I still boil my jars and leave them in the hot water until I'm ready to place the jelly in the jars.  I also measured out the sugar and got the pectin ready.

After thirty minutes, measure out 3-1/4 cup of the herb tea. Pour that into a large, clean saucepan. Dissolve the pectin in the tea by whisking it in. Bring the mixture to a boil using high heat. Once at a boil, pour the sugar in all at once. Stir continuously, and bring it back to a full boil. Once at a boil, boil and stir exactly one minute. Remove the jelly mixture from the heat. Work quickly to skim off the foam. Pour the hot jelly into the hot jars. Leave 1/4 inch headspace. Seal the jars with a flat lid and ring. Place the jars in the canner making sure the jars are covered by one inch of water. Bring the water to a boil and process the jars for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the canner after the water has settled for about five minutes. Using a jar lifter move the jars to a doubled towel in a draft free area. Do not disturb the jars for 24 hours.

I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed! 

*To ensure the safety of your canned foods, please follow all the guidelines for safe canning issued by the USDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment