Thursday, January 24, 2013

Outfits Without Hissyfits!

I have been meaning to share this post for a while, but, yeah, I am just now getting to it.

How many times have you ever been in a hurry to get out the door and you have a child following you all over the house whining about not knowing what to put on?  It used to happen to me a lot and drive me right up the wall!  That was me until I had to live away from home with my children during the week for almost a year due to my job!  I quickly learned tricks to make my life so much easier.  Each Sunday, I would have to pack our clothes for a week.  I don't like for tasks to take a long time and I didn't like forgetting things I needed. Ha!  Me forget something?  lol, Don't we know better!?   I would start with one child's clothes for the week.  I learned to fold shirts, undies, and socks into the pants times five, for each day of the week.  If a certain outfit required a particular pair of shoes, those also got folded into the pants. (Of course, if my little girl was wearing a dress, everything got folded into the dress.)  Then I would move to the next child and then myself.  I had the system down pat and could have us packed for a week in a matter of minutes.  When we got to the rental, unpacking was quick and easy.  I just pulled out the outfits and placed them into hanging organizer.  There was an opening for each day of the week.  Simple, easy-peasy, done! *dust hands and admire the finished results*  :)

Now that I don't have to live away from home anymore, praise the Lord, I don't have to pack anymore, but I have held onto the trick of folding outfits together for my youngest.  My oldest no longer needs so much help, mainly because she mostly wants to wear dresses when we go out.  I don't fold in the socks, undies, and shoes, of course, but having ready-to-go outfits in the drawer takes so much stress out of the mornings when I just want to pick up and go!  The children do still have separate pieces in their drawers for mix-and-match play clothes, but Jacob, especially, knows that when we are going somewhere he is to take out one of the pre-matched outfits.

Here is a look at one of Jacob's winter drawers.  He has two drawers for winter clothes (thank goodness for hand-me-downs!) and one drawer for summer clothes.  The summer clothes don't take up as much room right now while he is still little, so the one drawer is plenty for the moment.


Shirts folded inside the pants
Pants folded over the shirts
I do a similar thing for his Sunday clothes.  I simply hang his shirt over the matching pants.  Just that simple.  He just takes out the outfit of his choice, not that he has that many.  : )


What do we do with all these clothes at the end of the day?  You can read the post I wrote on our laundry organization here.

What handy-dandy tips do you have?  I would love to hear!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment