Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Around the World: Netherlands

We are so excited that my husband has his truck back and will finally be able to work again.  The last three weeks have been so hard.  The only bad thing is that he will be taking the computer with him, so I won't be able to do my posts each day.  :(  Sooo...I thought I would squeeze in one more country.  We haven't done this one yet, but we did it last year.  I liked it so much that I wanted to do it again this year.  The best part is that I already have pictures for our study of Christmas in the Netherlands!

Last year, I was much more prepared to do our Christmas Around the World study.  I had it all planned well in advance.  Doing so allowed me to do something a little special for the Netherlands study.  I went on eBay and found a pair of wooden clogs for sale from Holland.  One shoe had a woman painted on it, and one had a man painted on it!  The pair was perfect for us since I have one boy and one girl! 


They each have their own shoe to keep.  I hope they grow up and are able to share with their own children the story behind the shoes.


In the Netherlands, children fill their shoes with hay and sugar or some other treat for Sinterklaas' horse.  In return, treats and small gifts are left in the shoes.



Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment