Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dutch Country Bean Soup

Ingredients:
1lb soup beans                     1 can tomato sauce
1 ham bone                          1/2 c diced potatoes
1/2 c chopped onion            2t minced parsley
1c diced celery                     salt and pepper if needed
*I also added 1lb smoked sausage

This soup is from an old Amish cookbook that has been converted to digital format and placed on Amazon for purchase (I got it when it was on the free list!) to be read with a Kindle or Kindle PC.  I love that cookbook.  The directions tend to be a little vague, but it does have ingredients and general directions.  Of course, with this soup, detailed directions aren't needed.  :)

This is my favorite part of making this soup.  I think the beans are so pretty when being rinsed!  When beans have been rinsed, use your preferred soaking method.  I used the quick soak method.  After soaking, drain the water and add fresh water.  Cook the beans slowly with a ham bone for two hours.  I didn't have a ham bone so I used two small ham hocks. 


Put in the onion, celery, potatoes, sausage, and the meat trimmed from the ham hocks.


Lastly, add in the parsley.



Stir well and cook until the vegetables are tender.


Enjoy!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment