Saturday, May 19, 2012

Weeds and Large Lima Beans

Today began with my normal animal feedings, but when the children decided they wanted to play on the swing set on the beautiful morning we had, I decided to do some heavy duty work in the flower beds.  Rainy and windy days have caused the weeds to go crazy!  I normally like to control weeds with vinegar, but because of very windy and rainy days, I haven't been able to spray enough to keep the weeds at bay.  We finally had a calm day earlier in the week and Bill had to use the chemicals.  Ugh!  There was just no getting around it.  The vinegar had just not been enough to kill them, and I couldn't pull them fast enough.  I'm telling you, these weeds are rainforest-worthy!  I've never seen such!

This morning I tackled what Bill had not been able to spray, and I started cutting back or dead-heading all the plants that bloomed earlier in the spring.  I took a quick break to get supper in the crock pot.  Before I finished with that, Bill got up from bed (He's a truck driver and has crazy hours.) and asked if we wanted to go to Thomaston with him while he ran a few errands.  Of course, after not spending any quality time with him for so long, we said yes!  We went and enjoyed lunch together and ran errands.  Upon returning home, the children wanted to play in the pool so I worked on the weeds some more.  I cleared out the grass that had crept up around my tomato and bell pepper plants, and then I finished what I had started earlier this morning.

Oh, yes!  I almost forgot one of the most exciting parts of my day!  While we were out, I was finally able to find some English Lavender plants!!!  I am so excited!  I have wanted lavender plants for years.  If the store still has some plants left when I go shopping next week, I plan to get more.  I had just done some research a couple of days ago on the types and uses for lavender.  When I got through with my weeding and pruning, Bill dug up one of my miniature gardenias that has been sick for a while and we planted the lavender in its place.  I can't wait for them to bloom!

Add all that to the fact that I was able to get 2 white flour sack kitchen towels and lavender scent fabric softener, and I am one excited lady!  It doesn't take much to make me happy!  :)

So, on to a new recipe!  This has to be one of the easiest meals to prepare!  We call it beans and sausage.  :)  To make this recipe you need a crockpot, a large bag of large lima beans that have been soaked overnight, a large onion that has been chopped, one pack of polska kielbasa that has been sliced, and one can of cream of celery soup.  If you don't like to use canned soups, you need two stalks of celery and your favorite cream soup recipe.
Place the soaked beans in the crockpot.  I use the soaking water in the crockpot, too.  Add in the chopped onion, sliced kielbasa, and four cups on water.  If you are not using canned soup, you also need to add in the chopped celery. 

Put the lid on the crockpot and cook the beans and sausage on low for about 6 hours or until beans are done. 

When the beans are done, stir in the soup, and let the beans sit for a few minutes before serving.  If you really want your taste buds to do a happy dance, serve the beans and sausage with Mexican style cornbread.  Yum!  Try it!  You might like it!  :)

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment