Saturday, March 1, 2014

Georgia Jambalaya



In my last post I shared my journey to this recipe.  The only trouble with getting to the recipe was that I couldn't figure out a name for it so that I could share it.  Georgia Jambalaya was the best thing I could come up with.  Now, please understand, I have never had jambalaya.  I don't have a clue what is in it or how it is cooked.  I even have to type the word into the Google search bar just to figure out how to spell it!  I just know it is a popular dish in Louisiana, and I have seen pictures of it.  That's it.  Please don't judge this dish by your Grandma's famous jambalaya.  You have been warned.  :D  You hereby know this dish gathered its name simply from desperation and the fact that I know jambalaya can have chicken and sausage and rice in it, and it resembles what I made in appearance.  heehee!

To make this recipe, you will need one pack of bratwurst, about two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I trim excess fat.), 1-2 tsp olive oil to coat bottom of the pan, one small onion chopped, three large cloves of garlic minced, 32 ounces of chicken broth, 2 tsp browning and seasoning sauce, 1 T dehydrated bell pepper (can use 1/4 - 1/2 cup of fresh), 1/2 tsp Rotisserie Chicken spice, 1 tsp salt, enough Louisiana spice to coat chicken well, and 2 large bags of instant rice.

First, cut chicken in to one inch cubes, place in the insert of your electric pressure cooker (If you don't have an electric pressure cooker, see the instructions at the end.), and coat with the Louisiana seasoning.  I put a little olive oil in the bottom first to keep chicken from sticking.  This is mostly important if you want to brown your sausage first.  I didn't, but I added it anyway.  :)


Next, cut the sausage into one inch slices, chop the onion, and mince the garlic.  Add them to the pot. Note: sausage can be browned before to add color, but it is not necessary.


Add the remaining ingredients.  Close the lid, select the high setting, and set the timer to 5 minutes.  Make sure the valve is set to closed.  On mine, it is the circle with the dot being lined up with the raised line.

Goodness! I didn't realize how dirty it was! It is just dried
water from quickly releasing the pressure, but still.  :)
Use this time to clean up the minimal mess, or eat chocolate.  :)


When the time is up, use the quick release valve to release the pressure.  Hot steam will release quickly causing some water to sputter.  This is not the contents of the pot, but be careful!  It is hot.


Open the pot, and this is the beauty that awaits!


Open the two bags of rice, pour them in, and stir.  Close the pot and valve again.  Select the low setting, and set the timer for four minutes.  I release the pressure and let mine sit for a few minutes after the timer goes off to thicken a bit more.  My cooker automatically goes to the keep warm setting when the timer goes off. Please check your cooker's instructions before leaving it.

This is the pot of delicious treasure inside!  Don't tell anyone, but I ate it for breakfast this morning too!  It really is that good!


If you don't have a pressure cooker, don't fret!  This recipe can easily be modified for a slow cooker.  Add all the ingredients except the rice to the slow cooker, and cook on high until done.  Again, you can brown the sausage first.  Add rice and cook until the rice is done.  I am guessing it would take no more than 3 or four hours depending on how fast your cooker cooks.  Mine seems to cook really fast.

I hope you try it and let me know what you think!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment