Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Canned Seasoned Chicken


Late last night I found out a new store a few minutes away was opening with an amazing sale on chicken. Since we eat a lot of canned chicken for quesadillas, I decided to go get a bunch and can my own. For what I pay for one 12.5 ounce can of chicken in the store, I was able to can nearly four jars of the same weight. I say that's an awesome deal!

Normally when I do chicken, I just can it in broth. Today, though, I took a walk on the wild side and seasoned it so the chicken going into the quesadillas is not bland.

To start, I chopped my raw chicken into cubes and placed it into jars, leaving one inch headspace. Then I added my seasonings. To each jar I added the following:

1 t broth base
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 t cumin (or 1/2 t if you love cumin! 😊)
Scant 1/8 t garlic powder
1-2 pinches chili powder


This is the broth base I use.


Next, the jars were filled to 1 inch headspace with water. Air bubbles were removed, additional water was added where it was needed, and the jar rims we're wiped clean.


The jars were then sealed with a lid and a ring and placed in the canner.


My pints were processed at 11lbs. for 75 minutes. Quarts would have been processed for 90 minutes. If you want to can chicken in a weighted canner, process it at 10 lbs for the same amount of time. Be sure to make any adjustments needed due to your altitude. As always, to ensure the safety of your food when canning anything, make sure to follow safe canning practices as outlined by the USDA.

The house smells so good, and my stomach is grumbling! I'm ready to eat! Enjoy!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment