Sunday, April 23, 2017

Radish: Harvesting and Storage

It has been a busy spring, but it has been a beautiful spring! I have had so much fun in my garden this year! We have enjoyed salads and spinach from the garden as we wait on other things to grow.

The early crops have been in the ground for a while now. I planted Scarlet Early Globe radishes, Rat's Tail Radishes, three types of lettuce, kale, spinach, Atomic Red carrots, Cosmic Purple Carrots, onions, and two types of potatoes. I started lots of peppers, tomatoes, and herbs inside.

Night before last I was desperately trying to get my peppers all planted. I finally talked my little guy into helping me out by pulling up the Early Scarlet Globe Radishes. He took on the task like a champ, but neither of us completed our task before nightfall. Oh well. We gave it our best shot! 😊

I thought, today, I would share with you what I do with my radishes when I pull them from the ground. There may be a better method, but I've never had anyone teach me, so I just figure things out as I go. I am open to the wisdom of others!

The first thing I do with my radishes is rinse my radishes under running water really well. If your radishes are really dirty and you are able, you may want to rinse them outside with a hose. Mine were fairly clean. I love having a wood chip mulch!


Next, I break off the greens and sit them aside in the other sink in cold water until I am done with all the radishes.


The process moves along fairly quickly. Once all the radishes are done, I remove the green stem nub and the root. I don't know why. That's just the way they come in the store, so I figured that was the way they are supposed to be done. 😁


All that is left to do at this point is to let them dry off a bit, put them in zippered bags, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use within a few days.

Hopefully, this helps someone out there!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment