Friday, April 17, 2015

Spinach and Radish Soup

colander of spinach and radishes posing with my lettuce and giant lima sprouts
For several days, I have been trying to find creative ways to use the beautiful, huge, plentiful spinach in my garden. I grew it, so I don't want it to go to waste. I had tossed around the idea of this soup for a while before I actually found the courage to try it with my children this evening. They tend to be funny about the way food tastes.

As the cool sprinkles fell from the sky I made my way out to the garden. I am so amazed at what peace I have come to find there...even when I have to pull some weeds. :)

With my trusty colander and scissors in hand, I cut some spinach leaves and pulled a couple of radishes I found that were ready. I had hoped to find more radishes, but it seems I will have to wait a little longer. I guess it's a good thing I had a bag of them from the store that I bought the other day.

Inside I came to wash my ingredients, and the chopping and tossing of things that sounded good into the pot began! The result was a very yummy soup that had even my children sayings, "Mmmm!" With results like that, it had to go on the blog!

So without further Adieu, I present for your palate's pleasure...

Spinach and Radish Soup


Ingredients:
2 T butter
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package Polska Kielbasa, sliced
1 lb radishes
32 oz chicken stock
1/4 t turmeric
1 t salt
4 c spinach, chopped
1 T sugar, optional

Directions:
In a large stock pot, melt butter. Add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for about a minute. Add in sliced kielbasa, and lightly brown. Add in radishes, allowing them to cook a few minutes while stirring occasionally. Add in chicken stock, turmeric and salt. Cook until radishes are soft. With a potato masher, mash the radishes lightly to break them up. Add in spinach and allow them to wilt. Add sugar to cut any bitterness if desired. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment