Saturday, April 27, 2013

Chickens and Strawberries

Good evening friends!  I know I told you I would post about a home school on the go idea, but I regret to inform you that I can't do that post until next week.  Part of my project is still an hour away from my home.  I promise I will share it next week.

Perhaps, though, you would be interested in the unexpected fun I had today.  Yesterday I found an invitation to a chicken butchering in the messages on my phone.  I changed around my original plans for the day so that I could go.  Do you remember the post about the hog butchering?  The chicken butchering was at the same place.  My friends Esther and Mari simply amaze me.  I think they have forgotten more wonderful things than I will ever learn!  The chickens we were butchering belonged to Esther and her husband.

I arrived a little too late to see everything from start to finish.  When I arrived, the chickens had already been beheaded, and they had been placed in hot water and removed.


I arrived just in time for plucking!  I didn't know what I was in for, but I was tossed a chicken and told to just start pulling out feathers.  My first thought was, "Dear heavens!  This is going to take forever!"  To my surprise, it wasn't so bad.  Of course, the others could probably pluck two or three to my one, but still!  I think they cut me some slack since it was my first time.  :)  Who knew plucking feathers could be fun?!


Here I am with "my" chicken!  I didn't mean to leave the cute little cuffs around the ankles, but I am really liking them!  heehee!

Next the poor chicken lost it's cute little cuffs along with it's feet and innards (That's redneck for anything inside the chicken or other creature one may be describing!  heehee!).


A good rinse, and into the ice bath it went!


Finally the old bird was cut up and put into bags to be frozen!  Easy peasy!


Look at the view I had while I plucked!  Who would mind plucking a chicken when looking out at this?



Beautiful I tell ya!  Every time I go to this beautiful part of the world, I wish I could move our home and land there!

Well, as we worked, we all realized we had the same plans of going to pick strawberries just down the road after we were done.  That is exactly what we did.  It was comforting to know we wouldn't be the only person there covered in chicken feathers and innards!  ;)

Picking strawberries was a first for my children and me.  It was a perfect day for it, and we had a lot of fun!  And the berries?  Have mercy were they delicious! I have never had such sweet strawberries.  Don't even get me started on the fresh strawberry lemonade!  :)




Alissa simply adores Esther and her babies!  I think getting to play with and watch after the precious twin girls was her favorite part of the day!

My friends, I tell you!  I have a very blessed life!  I am so honored God picked me to live it!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment