Monday, February 18, 2013

Breakfast Pockets

I dearly despise shoveling sugar into my children first thing in the morning, but it so easy to just feed them cereal instead of cooking.  Easy or not, my conscience just gets the best of me when I do it!  I finally bit the bullet and whipped up a batch of breakfast pockets that can be frozen and reheated.  My idea came from here.

I even bought a bag of potatoes with which to make my own hash browns- yeah, right!  lol!  Maybe one day, but not this last time.

The process has a lot of steps and can make a mess, but it is not hard.  To begin, I browned one pound of sausage in a large skillet.


While the sausage was browning, I chopped one bell pepper and one onion.


I actually used three very small bell peppers because I loved how colorful they were.  They came in a three pack in the produce section.  These little peppers just make me smile every time I see them in the store.  No, it doesn't take much to make me happy!

I removed the sausage from the pan to drain on paper towels.  In the same skillet, I tossed in frozen hashbrowns, one chopped onion, and bell peppers.  My sausage rendered very little fat, so I had to add a little in with the hashbrowns.


While this was cooking, I cracked and beat 10-15 eggs with just a little milk.



While the hashbrowns cooked, I added pepper, a generous amount of salt and garlic salt, and some parsley mainly because I liked the green mixed in!  :)  I didn't measure any of the seasonings.  Just add what you think will taste right for your family.


When the hashbrowns and veggies were done to my liking, I poured in the beaten eggs.



Then I cooked on low and turned the mixture several times until the eggs were cooked through.


I cleared my messy island counter and created an assembly station.  Well, it wasn't anything fancy, but it sounds fun, right?  :)


Let the assembly begin!  I placed a portion, how much depends on your preference, on a whole wheat tortilla and topped it with shredded cheese.


Then I folded the top and bottom over the hash brown mixture and rolled it like a burrito.  Because these tortillas were taco-sized, they made the cutest little pockets that fit perfectly in one's hand on a busy morning!


The pockets then got rolled in parchment paper until I realized I don't have that kind of money.  (For some reason the phrase, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" keeps running through my head when I read that!) I quickly changed to foil. :)


The mixture was enough for 20 pockets that I popped into the frig and freezer.  Well, three of them didn't make it that far.  We had to have a taste test!  The children absolutely loved them, at least for five minutes.  All I heard was, "Mmm!  Mama!  These are SO GOOD!  These are the best burritos ever!"  over and over.  That was until the little man either got full or decided playing was more appealing.  Then he didn't like them anymore.  :(

I haven't reheated one yet, but I think they would be wonderful heated on a sandwich grill or a two-sided grill with a lid if there is time for such.  If not, they can be popped in the microwave until warm in the center.  In my microwave, I'm guessing it would probably take 45 seconds for a thawed pocket or a minute to a minute and thirty seconds for a frozen pocket.  I'll update if those times are different for me.

Can you imagine how great it would be to serve these if you had company spend the night?  It would be so nice to serve up such an easy, healthy meal!  I hope you get to try them!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. That looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They are very yummy to me! I had one this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete