Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Soup

When we had our Thanksgiving celebration with our friends, I decided to make Thanksgiving soup with the children.  This is an activity I used to do with my students when I taught school. 

When we invited the friends, we attached a list of food items that could be added to the soup.  We asked that each child chose one item from the list and bring it prepared to be added to the soup.  The list included things such as beans, pasta, broccoli, potatoes, greens, peppers, celery, onions, etc.  The night before the celebration I made the stock.  I just reheated it in the morning before the guests arrived.  The following is the recipe for the base:

20 cups water
8 cups vegetable juice
8-10 tsp. beef base
1-1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons chili powder
6 bay leaves

Put all ingredients in a very large stock pot and simmer for three hours.  When guests' vegetables are added, simmer for three more hours or until vegetables are tender.
This is a slightly modified recipe from the November 1991 AIMS Education Foundation.

I really wish I had a photo to share, but the soup was eaten so quickly and we were enjoying our time together so much that I didn't have a chance to take one.

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment