Thursday, April 14, 2022

How to Can Sweet Potatoes



M
ay I start by saying that if you like canning sweet potatoes, bless you!

I don't think I've ever not liked canning something as much as I've not liked canning sweet potatoes!! Maybe if they had been fresher, the process wouldn't have been so bad. I don't know. 

If you DO want to try them, this is the process:

Start with nice, smooth potatoes. Most of mine were not. Scrub them well, boil them 12-15 minutes just until they are barely fork tender, peel them- the skin and yellow layer underneath, chop them into nice size chunks, and pack them into jars to 1 inch headspace. Cover them with boiled, hot water to one inch headspace. Seal the jars and process quarts for 90 minutes, pints for 65 minutes at 11lbs pressure for a dial guage, and 10lbs pressure for a weighted pressure canner. Make sure to check and adjust your pressure for your location.

Click here for my video tutorial on YouTube!

I wish you all the best, and may your experience not be so rough and tedious. 💕

In other news, we got two pigs last weekend. We were supposed to have three, but one got away in the loading process. She has since been recovered by the original owner, and we will be going to get her this weekend. Hopefully, she won't be as skiddish as her sister. Of the two pigs we brought home, only the piglet will come to us easily. She is the cutest little thing and will eat everything we put in front of her except onions. She is so much like a puppy. She "smiles", wags her tail, and grunts as she happily makes her way to us to see what treat we may have for her. She is so gentle and eats right out of our hand. This is her eating some peels from the sweet potatoes that I canned.

Maybe once we get the bigger pig's sister here, the bigger pig will come around, too.

I think, hope, the cold weather is past us now. We've had some wild and crazy weather here the last couple of weeks. The only thing we have put in the garden is corn. Somehow, it is all coming up! I don't know if we've ever had a year other than our first year when we didn't have to fight weather and animals to get it to come up. Praise the Lord! Thank you! Now, I need to work on getting our other things in the ground. I'll be working on figuring out where I want to put things for a little while this morning.

What have you all been up to? I would love to hear from you in the comments! I love hearing what is happening in your world even if it has nothing to do with the homesteading life!

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" 1 John 3:1

Until we meet again, may you be blessed! 💕


No comments:

Post a Comment