Saturday, April 13, 2013

Biscuits at Last!



Good day, friends!

We have been enjoying such beautiful weather here, and it has my energy levels in high gear!  I have been enjoying finishing up Alissa's second grade year, cleaning and organizing a few things, and trying my best to master a few recipes.

My husband was finally able to make it home Thursday night after being on the road for a couple of weeks, so I have taken the opportunity to work on a couple of bread recipes.  I can't make too much bread when he isn't here because I would eat it myself!  I am still having a hard time with my artisan bread, but I think I have finally mastered my biscuits!!!!  I have been trying for so long to make them well without very much luck.  Still, I kept trying and devouring everything I could read or listen to others say about making biscuits.  What a long journey it has been!

I posted pictures of my last two batches of biscuits on Facebook and a couple of people asked for the recipe.  I thought the easiest way to share would be with this post.  I hope you try them and let me know what you think!



Southern Flaky Layer Biscuits

Ingredients:
2c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t salt
5 T cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3/4 c cold buttermilk
1/4 c sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the butter and cut in the butter until the pieces are no larger than a pea.  I use my fingers, but any method you choose is fine.  Place this mixture in the refrigerator for at least ten minutes to re-chill the butter.  This is the point I start preheating my oven.

While the mixture is chilling and the oven is heating, I make my own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of regular milk.

When oven is almost to 400, remove flour mixture from the refrigerator.  Gently mix in the sour cream and buttermilk until dry ingredients are moistened.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 2 or 3 times to bring the dough together.  Roll dough into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.  From the long side, fold the dough into thirds.  Roll the dough back out into a rectangle of 1/2 inch thickness, and fold it into thirds again.  This time, roll the dough into 3/4 inch thickness.    Using a biscuit cutter or a circle cookie cutter, cut out biscuits without twisting the cutter or dough.  Place biscuits about one inch apart on the prepared pan.  Scraps can be rolled together and cut at least once.  Bake for 11-14 minutes until golden brown on top.

My husband ate six of these before he stopped!  I don't recommend that for your waistline, but I do hope you enjoy them!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment