Monday, April 23, 2012

Easter Egg!

This morning was such a special morning.  I have had my chickens for a while now.  One of them, my sweet Marge, is an Easter Egger.  She is a true pet.  No matter where she is, when I walk outside she comes running and clucking her "hello," and she follows me wherever I go.  She's never laid an egg, but she's such a sweetheart, I just didn't care.

This morning when I went to the chicken pen, she didn't come out, and she is usually the first out the door.  She was poking around the nests which I found odd because she has never had any interest in them.  I wanted to stay with her, but I had to go feed the hogs.  When I had fed the hogs and she still hadn't come out, I went back to check on her.  She was sitting on the eggs my broody Fern has been sitting on, and Fern was still sitting on the perch.  I thought it was very odd and thought something was wrong with one of them.


I went back out and threw out some scratch feed for the chickens that were outside and gave them some water.  When I went back to the chicken pen, I knew Marge was either very sick or about to lay an egg.  I didn't want to leave her so I just stayed.  Suddenly, there plopped out the prettiest blue-green egg!  My eyes must have been as wide as my mouth that fell open in amazement.  I was with my sweet girl when she laid her first egg!  I just couldn't believe it!  I rubbed her head and back for a few seconds and told her what a great job she did!  :) 
Marge's egg in the middle


She kept standing, acting like she didn't know what to do, and I was worried about the other eggs that are about ready to hatch getting too cold.  I was just as inexperienced as her.  I lifted her off the nest, put her in the next nest, and put her egg in my jacket pocket.  It didn't occur to me to put her egg in the nest with her until I was walking back to the house.  After I moved her, I turned around and got Fern to put her back on the nest of eggs that she's been sitting on.  I hope they didn't get too cold.  I guess we will find out in a couple of days!  If I have remembered and figured correctly, the eggs should hatch by the end of the week!
Fern on the nest

Until we meet again, be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment