Sunday, March 27, 2022

Canning Pork and Beans

 


Hello dear reader friends!

I am so glad you're here! I know the recipe is most important, so recipe first! 😊

Click here for a link to the video tutorial on my YouTube channel! 🥰

Canned Pork and Beans

2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
6 c water
1/2 c brown sugar
2 T honey
2 t yellow mustard
1-1/2 t Liquid Smoke
2 t salt

2 lbs Navy beans
1 onions, chopped
1 package of salt pork

Mix ingredients for the sauce. Let the mixture get hot and simmer for five minutes. Place 1/2 c dried beans, up to one tablespoon of chopped onions, and one small (about one inch) chunk of salt pork in each jar. Add one cup of the heated sauce to each jar. Use hot water to fill each jar to one inch headspace. Remove air pockets from the jars. Add more water if needed. Wipe jar rims, and place a lid and ring on each jar. Process jars at 10 lbs pressure for a weighted canner or 11lbs pressure for a guaged canner. 75 minutes for pints or 90 minutes for quarts. Be sure to adjust pressure according to your altitude.

It should be noted that the dried beans should be soaked according to tested method guidelines. Here is a link for proper procedures for canning dried beans. That being given, most people I know use dried beans that have not been soaked. I urge you to do your research and use the method that you are most comfortable with. Never take my word or anyone else's over tested methods. You always can at your own risk in your kitchen. Always follow tested and approved canning guidelines to keep you and your family safe. ❤️

With all that out of the way, it's time to catch up! I hope you had a great week, and are looking forward to the new week ahead! 

A couple weeks ago, my son killed some wild hogs on our property, and we have some hams curing in our refrigerator. My husband has been trying his best to build a smoke house for smoking/curing meats before it gets too hot. Watch for that video to be posted soon.

Other than experimenting with a canned Cole slaw recipe, scrubbing down the kitchen, and continuing to enjoy my new clothes line, I didn't really have much going on this week. Oh! The strawberry patch here opened this weekend. I hope I am able to go and do a couple strawberry projects this week. Fresh strawberries straight from the patch are so delicious!

How about you? Is there anything interesting going on in your world? I would love to hear from you!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed! ❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment