Friday, February 6, 2015

Cranberry Orange Scones with Spiced Cream Topping

Oh, yall! Don't you just love it when you experiment in the kitchen and the recipe works the first time?! Today was one of those such days!

I have been toying around with the idea of this recipe for a while now. I found this recipe online a while back, but I can never leave well enough alone. I seem to always have to adjust it somehow, and make it mine. :) I figured if I was going to use the cranberries left in my refrigerator from Christmas before they went bad, I had better get busy! So...I present to you today my modified creation. Please pardon the poor photo quality! I was in too big of a hurry to eat to get the pictures just right! 




Before I started, I turned on the oven to preheat to 350 degrees and placed my silicone mat in my baking sheet. For the recipe, I first mixed coconut and almond flours, sweetener, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. I used softened butter in this step so that the coconut oil in the next step wouldn't immediately get hard before I could mix it in.


I stirred in the melted coconut oil. While I prepared the next ingredients, I placed this mixture in the refrigerator.

Next, I squeezed the orange, sorted one cup of cranberries, cut up cream cheese into chunks, and cracked and beat four fresh farm eggs!  Ah...I love this life! :)


Look how rich and yellow those eggs are!!



I took the mixture from the refrigerator, and cut in the cream cheese. I suppose that the cream cheese could have been done at the same time as the butter if it was softened, but that was just how it happened this morning. I forgot I wanted to add it until the mixture was already in the refrigerator. :D Lastly, I added in the greek yogurt, eggs, orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and cranberries, and mixed thoroughly. The mixture was dropped by large, heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Now, I am a southern cook. By a large heaping tablespoon, I mean I went to the kitchen drawer and found the largest tablespoon I have, not a measuring spoon nor a mixing spoon, heehee! I mounded the mixture on the spoon and dropped it onto the pan. :) :)


Into the oven it went! Out of the oven and into my tummy it went!



Cranberry Orange Scones with Spiced Cream Topping
1/2 c Coconut flour
1/2 c Almond flour
2 T Sweet Blend (or 1/3 c sweetener that measures like sugar)
2 t Baking powder
1/4 t Baking soda
1/4 t Salt
1 c Fresh cranberries
1/4 c Butter, softened
2 T Coconut oil, melted
1/4 c Greek yogurt
3 oz Cream cheese
4 large Eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 c Orange juice
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 - 1 t cinnamon

Topping:
1/4 c Powdered Swerve
2 oz Cream cheese
1/2 c Heavy cream
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Vanilla extract
juice from 1/2 of an orange

Mix flours, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Cut in softened butter. Stir in coconut oil. Place this mixture in the refrigerator while the next ingredients are prepared. Sort and measure out cranberries, Measure out greek yogurt, cinnamon, and vanilla, Squeeze orange juice, Crack and beat eggs. Remove mixture from the refrigerator. Cut in the cream cheese. Stir in the eggs, yogurt, cinnamon, vanilla, juice and cranberries. Mix well. drop mounded spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until slightly golden on top. Yields 12 light and fluffy 'Scones'. :)

To make the topping, place all the ingredients in a bowl. I used my coffee grinder to turn my granulated Swerve into a powder. It works wonderfully! (I started with a 1/4 cup heavy creaming adding more until I reached a consistency I liked.) Use an immersion blender or hand mixer to blend ingredients until blended well into a fluffy mixture. Store unused topping in refrigerator.



Ugh! That stinkin' flash and photographer! I was too close, I guess! I totally apologize I don't have a better picture for you! I need more practice with the new camera!

I hope you get to try this recipe, and let me know what you think! It sounds like a complicated and time-consuming recipe, but really, it is very quick and easy! Have fun with it! Let me know your favorite changes!

Until we meet again, be blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment