Saturday, September 8, 2012

Buttermilk Spice-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables


I have been wanting to do this post for a while, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it.  I took two recipes that we love in my home, neither of which were my original recipes, and made them one.  It made one OUTSTANDING dish!  I just had to share.  The buttermilk brine is one I found on Pinterest.  The other part is one I found in a Woman's Day magazine that my mother-in-law sent to my house. It sounds very complicated, but in reality, it is a very easy recipe.  It just takes time to cut up the vegetables and let the chicken marinate.  I hope you try it!

Buttermilk Brine
2 c. buttermilk
5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1T salt
1T sugar
1 1/2 t paprika
lots of black pepper


Spice-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
3 lbs. chicken parts
2 medium red onions cut into wedges
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, cut into 3 inch sticks
1/2 lbs. parsnips or celery (or both  :)) cut into 3 inch sticks
2T olive oil
2 t paprika
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t table salt, plus additional 1/4 t
1/4 t black pepper, plus additional 1/4 t
Kosher salt or sea salt for sprinkling before adding to oven

Directions:

Whisk together the brine ingredients.  Place chicken parts in a zip-top bag and pour the brine over the pieces.  Make sure the brine coats all pieces.  I also swish them around a couple times as it marinates.  Chicken can marinate for as little as two hours and up to 48 hours.  I almost always let mine marinate for about 24 hours.  When ready to roast the chicken, preheat oven to 425 degrees while preparing the vegetables.  Line two baking sheets with foil.  Cut the vegetables into sticks.  Toss vegetables with oil, salt, and pepper.  More can be added if desired, but I find I don't usually need it.



Divide the vegetables between the two baking sheets.


Remove the chicken from the brine and season with the paprika, cinnamon, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper.


Nestle the chicken pieces among the vegetables.  Sprinkle everything with more sea salt or Kosher salt.


Place the baking sheets on the middle and bottom racks of the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes.  Switch the positions of the baking sheets, and roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender (about 15-20 minutes more depending on what chicken parts are being used).


Be careful when biting into the chicken as hot juice will pour from it!  :)  Let me know if you make it!  You won't be disappointed!  The brine can also be used before frying the chicken.  Add some salt, pepper, and paprika to your flour before frying, and MMMM, mmmmm, mmmm!  :)

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

4 comments:

  1. It is beyond yummy! It will make your tastebuds have a wild party in your mouth! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melt in my mouth, that looks super duper good! I pinned it to try someday!

    ReplyDelete