Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Canning Ground Beef


Hi reader friends!

It has taken me a while to get to this post. I guess I have been unsure of just how to present it. About a week ago, I used a large part of my day to work on some things for my pantry. I needed to get some ground beef canned, and I wanted to get some things I knew I wouldn't use within a year put away in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers so they wouldn't go bad. There was a lot going on in the kitchen that day. If you would like to see the video, click here.

The biggest part of my focus was on the ground beef. Ground beef is very easy to can. If you would like to view the video tutorial, click here. I started by cooking and draining the grease from my meat. Then I lightly packed the meat into pint sized jars to one inch headspace. I like to add a dollop of Better Than Bouillon Beef Paste and then add boiling water to one inch headspace. The paste is not necessary, though. You could use plain water, beef broth, or tomato juice. The air bubbles should be removed from the jars and the jar rims wiped clean with a little vinegar. Seal the jars with a lid and ring, place them in the canner. The jars should be processed for 75 minutes for pints at 10lbs pressure after the canner has been vented for ten minutes. Make sure to adjust the pressure for your altitude.

I hope you get the chance to try canning your own ground beef! Having some jars on your pantry shelf sure helps when you really need to pull together a quick and easy meal! 

What do you like to have on your shelf to make meals quick and easy? Let me know in the comments!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment