Thursday, July 11, 2019

Updated Hot Pickled Okra

Hello reader friends! I hope you are enjoying your summer! We have been busy, but we are definitely enjoying these long summer days.

Today I was finally able to get around to pickling some of my okra from the garden. I shared the process here several years ago, but I figured it was time for a freshened up post. Let's get started!

Click here for my video tutorial!

Hot Pickled Okra
Brine: 
4 c water
4 c white vinegar
2 T sugar
6 T canning salt

Pickling Spice:
4 T mustard seeds
2 T coriander seeds
2 T red pepper flakes
2 t fennel seeds
2 t celery seeds
2 t black peppercorns

Desired amount of okra
2 cloves garlic per pint jar
1/2 jalapeno per jar

To begin, gather pint size jars. Add water to your water bath canner, and begin heating it. You may put the jars in the water, but it is not necessary. 

Measure out and mix your spices.



Rinse your okra in cool water and drain.



Trim the stem ends of the okra, peel the cloves of garlic, and cut the jalapenos in half. It's still nice to have help with this step! My babies aren't as eager to volunteer in the kitchen as they used to be compared to my last pickled okra post, but they don't complain too much about having to help their old mama out. (I had to come back and edit to add:) I mean, it would be a little weird if they came running into the kitchen in their sweet little child ways begging to help mommy. They still have their own things they enjoy doing in the kitchen, and they do often check on me to see if I need help. I am very blessed and never want to take that for granted!

So, with that being said, back to the recipe! 😁





Next, mix the brine ingredients and put it on the stove to heat to a boil. Once it starts to boil, turn it down to low until you are ready to use it.

Finding another helper for the next step is
optional, but adding 1 tablespoon of the pickling spice, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/2 of a jalapeno to each jar isn't! Plain okra and brine probably wouldn't be too tasty. Heehee! Start with just four jars unless you are pretty sure you have enough okra to fill more.





The jars are now ready to be filled with okra. Pack the jars snugly, but don't pack them so tightly that you crush or break the okra. Packing with one piece of okra up and one down helps with this process.


Please pardon the napkin and vinegar! I got ahead of myself. 

Fill the jars with hot brine to 1/2 inch headspace.


Remove the air bubbles, wipe the rims clean with vinegar using a paper towel. Seal the filled jars with a flat lid and ring. Place the filled jars in the water bath canner making sure the jars are covered by at least an inch of water. Place the lid on the canner. Bring the water to a rolling boil, and process the jars for 15 minutes.

When the time is up, turn off the heat, remove the lid, and move the canner to a cool eye if possible. Let the jars sit for a few minutes until the water is still. Lift the jars out of the water in the rack, and let them sit just above the water for a few minutes more. Move the jars to a doubled towel in a draft-free area to sit for 24 hours. If a jar happens to not seal, place it in the refrigerator.



I hope you get to try pickling your own okra! It's still one of my husband's favorite recipes.

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment