Thursday, April 27, 2017

How to Freeze Strawberries


Good day, all my favorite reader friends!

Who here loves strawberries? We sure do! Last week I was so blessed to be able to purchase ten pounds of organic strawberries from a local grower. You can't imagine how excited I was!

After stopping to pick up some freezer bags, I came straight home and got to work putting my little beauties away!

I still run into people who express their appreciation that I break things down step by step to help others learn. As I was doing strawberries, it dawned on me that maybe someone out there has never put strawberries away in the freezer and would appreciate a simple explanation. So here goes!

Before you start, you will need a large colander (to place rinsed berries in), a towel (to pat berries dry with), two large bowls (one for dried berries and one for chopped berries), one small bowl (for trimmed berry tops), a cutting board, a knife, and quart sized zip top freezer bags.

My first step was to rinse my berries well since they had come straight from the berry patch and pat them dry. It is VERY important to remember not to rinse them until you are ready to work them. Once they are dry, place them in a large bowl.


Next, remove the green, leafy top. Toss the top into the small bowl (or the trash can). Mine went to the chickens when I was done.


Place the chopped berries in the other large bowl. Continue until all the berries are chopped.



The next step is optional, but it's what I prefer to do with my berries.  When all the berries are chopped, I rinse and dry the big bowl the whole berries were in. Then I transfer some of the berries to the empty bowl. Once I have a small layer of berries in the bottom, I lightly sprinkle with a natural sweetener or sugar. If you don't want to pre-sweeten your berries, skip to the bagging instructions.


I keep layering until, all the berries are done. Then, I stir them all together.



Finally, I measure out two cups, and place them into a zip top freezer bags.



Placing the bags in the freezer flattened this way helps the berries freeze more quickly if the bags are spread out, and it make for easier, neater storage once the berries are frozen and the bags are stacked.

There you go! Easy peasy, lemon squeezey! Heehee! Now, the first taste of spring can be enjoyed all year long! It should be noted that I kept out enough unsweetened berries to make strawberry jelly. Watch for that post in the future!

I hope this post helps someone out there!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment