Thursday, August 4, 2016

Hot Pickled Banana Peppers



Last year I shared with you my story of how I made pickled banana peppers. I was so excited to share them with my husband, but he doesn't like sweet pickled things. Since I don't eat pickled peppers, I had no clue how they should taste. He loved the flavor. He just couldn't handle the sweetness. He wanted me to make them again this year using the exact same recipe without the sugar, so that's what I did. He absolutely loves them. He and my son are eating a whole jar with every two meals that lends itself to such a side! Just tonight, he told me I needed to can a lot more to make sure he had enough to last until next year-there are nine jars in the pantry now. 😮

Anyway, I thought I would share this recipe again just to make the distinction that some pickled peppers are sweet and some are not. This recipe is for peppers that are not. The picture tutorial can be found above in the link to last year's recipe.

Pickled Hot Banana Peppers
4 c water
4 c white vinegar
1/2 t turmeric
1 t mustard seeds
1 t celery seeds
1 clove of garlic for each jar
1/2 t salt for each jar
As many hot banana peppers as you wish to process sliced into rings.

In a large pan, bring the water, vinegar, mustard seeds, and celery seeds to a boil. (This brine may need to be multiplied depending on how many peppers you wish to process.) Pack hot jars with peppers leaving 1/4 inch head space. To each jar of peppers, add one clove of garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pour hot brine over peppers to 1/4 inch headspace. Seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Happy canning! 

Until we meet again, may you be blessed! 
*Follow USDA canning guidelines to ensure safety of all home-canned foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment