Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Canning Mushrooms

Update: You can find my video tutorial for mushrooms on YouTube now!

 

Hello friends!  

Does this post find you squeezing every last ounce out of summer or has school started back for your little ones?  We have started back, but boy, it has been a struggle to get back into the swing of things and get everything done!  It doesn't help that I still have canning on the brain!  Add to it the fact that we have been wrapped up in shopping for RVs this week, and it makes for a very unproductive school week.  :(  Thank goodness we are good at doubling up on official lessons and learning through life's situations!

Today, I wanted to share with you the mushrooms I canned the other day.  It was a very quick and easy canning project that started with needing mushrooms for a homemade pizza.  I love canned mushrooms on my pizza, but when I looked at the price for a jar in the store I realized I could make a whole lot more of my own for about the same price.

I started with two pounds of sliced mushrooms.  Into two quarts of water, I added two heaping tablespoons of Better Than Bouillon Beef Base.  (I would love to have used my own beef stock, but I haven't gotten around to making any.  Soon, though!  That is a big project I hope to tackle soon!)  I brought that to a boil, put my mushrooms in, and boiled the mushrooms for five minutes.  Then, I packed the mushrooms into hot half-pint jars.  The jars were sealed with two piece lids and processed at 10lbs pressure for 45 minutes. Make sure to use the correct pressure for your area.  **Always follow the USDA's canning guidelines for safe canning. 

Here is the finished product!


Have you canned anything yet?  You are always welcomed to share in the comments!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment