Thursday, May 2, 2013

School on the Go

Hi friends!  I finally have the home school-made-easy idea ready to share!  I was getting worried it was never going to be ready, but it's done!

What do you do for school on days you are sick or life happens and you just have to be away from home?  Does school get put on hold, or do you try to lug tons of books everywhere?  This is one I always struggled with.  I have used both options, but I haven't been happy with either.  In comes the School on the Go binder.

A special thanks to my sister who helped me
with the school label!  She took my idea,
re-drew it, and made it cute!
This little binder is what I plan to use for days when life comes calling.  Isn't that part of the beauty of homeschooling?  I simply love not having to be tied down to my house just to do school work.  I don't know what your views of school are, but for me there is more to school than just books and worksheets.  We love to live learning, and there is a lot to be learned and experienced out there in that big world!  Who wants to be stuck at home all the time?


The binder is divided into sections by these pocket dividers.  There is a pocket for each subject.


I have stacks of worksheets covering different subject areas leftover from my teaching days.  It is very easy to pick a sheet for any subject and place it into the correct pocket.  If you don't have worksheets readily available, there are many places online to find any that suite your needs.  Pinterest is always a great place to start.

I am not always in love with the idea of worksheets even if they are the easiest thing to pull out when mom is out of commission or out on the road.  For that reason, I have also added index cards to each section with a choice of activities from which the student may pick.  I love the cards because they can easily be changed or added to.



This picture is just to show how the cards are easily added to the binder by punching two holes in the cards.




In addition to the activity cards, I also recommend keeping a notebook, index cards, a pencil pouch and a book in the front of the binder.  It is a great idea to keep a pencil (or two), crayons, scissors, and a small bottle of glue in the pouch.


It's not fancy, but it works.  That what my ideas here are for.  They're intentionally easy enough for anyone at home to create without any special equipment.  What do you think?  What ideas do you use to make your school days easier?  The teacher in me always loves hearing other's ideas!

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment