Friday, August 10, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

It has been a wonderful week, but it has been a very busy week!  As you know, school for us started on Monday.  Bill is in the process of changing jobs, so we have been trying to get everything together for that change, including me trying to remove the embroidery from his Frito Lay work shirts.  We went to visit a friend yesterday, and Alissa and Jacob ended up spending the night with their friends. 

With Bill in the process of changing jobs, our budget has been quite tight.  Today, I stared at the cupboards trying to figure out what to prepare for supper.  Do you remember the chicken I had left from the soup I made last week?  I had it thawing, so I knew I would use it and and rice.  When I absolutely could not decide what to make.  I just shredded the chicken and threw it in the pot with the rice to cook.  I then thought I might make chicken and rice soup with vegetables in it.  I pulled out some frozen vegetables and threw them in too.  I added in some salt, pepper, garlic salt, dried parsley flakes, and Worcestershire sauce.  When I put back the frozen vegetables, the sour dough loaves were calling my name.  I pulled them out and heated them up after preheating the oven.  It was then I decided I would use the loaves as bowls and make the soup something similar to a chicken pot pie filling.  Please understand, I have never made chicken pot pie and had no idea what I was doing other than experimenting.  Luckily, I ended up being quite pleased in the end.  To the soup that was already cooking, I added two heaping tablespoons of AP flour dissolved in water.  Then I added a little more than a cup of milk and about three tablespoons of sour cream.  I added a little more salt, white pepper, and garlic salt for flavor. 

I wish I could take credit for baking these, but I can't.  :)
When the bread was done, I halved the loaves and hollowed them out to make bowls.  Then I ladled in the thick soup. 



My inexpensive meal felt quite rich in the end!  I even have plenty of soup leftover!  Everyone in the house liked it except Jacob.

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Can you come stare into my cupboards and fridge for a while? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee! That earned a hearty, belly giggle! :D I'll come stare into your cupboards any time! lol!

    ReplyDelete