Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

Well...the chicken is all gone!  :)  The chicken I cooked last week has been completely consumed!  It lasted through three meals last week (in the chicken noodle soup) and two meals this week (in the chicken pot pie soup and the chicken pot pie).  It served us well.  :)

After making the "soup" last night, I was inspired to turn it into a real pot pie tonight.  I prepared my pie crust and rolled it out to fit as well as I needed in my baking dish.  The trouble is that I have terrible luck with my pie crusts.  They mix up perfectly and hold together perfectly.  When I try to roll them out, however, they stick to my floured rolling pin and my well-floured counter.  I always end up peeling chunks of rolled out dough off the counter and pressing the bits of pieces into my baking dish!  grrr...  The craziest part is that they are as flakey and yummy as can be when done, lol!  Anyway, to make the pot pie I first mixed my pie crust and divided it in two.  For each half, I formed the dough into a rough round form and flattened it a bit.  Then I wrapped each flattened round in plastic wrap to chill in the refrigerator for about thirty minutes.


While the dough chilled, I reheated the pot pie "soup" from last night, and I preheated the oven.  When the dough had chilled, I rolled it out in vain.  Then I peeled it from the counter and pieced the pieces together in my baking dish.  :)  Can someone PLEASE help me with my pie crust before fall???  :)


Next, I poured in my filling that had been reheating on the stovetop.


With that done, I then rolled out the second, smaller flattened round of dough to fit just over the top of the filling.  I had better luck with that one for some reason, but it was still far from perfect.


The crust was brushed very lightly with a little melted butter and then placed in the oven.  My pie crust recipe said to leave it in the oven for 8-10 minutes, but mine was in the oven longer.  I left it and kept checking until the top was browned to my liking.


It may never win any prizes in a county fair, but it was so yummy.  My family was happy, so I was happy!  :)  Now, my penny-pinching, whole chicken recipe mini series has come to an end.  :)

Until we meet again, may you be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Looks homemade... and homemade is much more yummy than storebought! Your crust looks yummy! But... if you insist ;) They have this nifty little tool called a dough scraper (or is it patry scraper... anyway...) I'll send you a link on FB to look at :)
    BTW: I LOVE that baking dish! Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I don't think even a scraper would help! lol! I did have my spatula, but I just ended up tossing it to the side. lol! Thank you for the link. Maybe I can get my sister to lend me one of hers to see if it can help my messes. ;) Thank you, too, for the compliment about the dish. It is a part of a set that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete